Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Bliss in Red and Gold


Oh the Japanese autumn... the last weeks have been brilliant! I would even go as far as to say this might turn out to be the happiest time for me here in Japan. Right after the Jazz Street weekend in Kanazawa - which was great, by the way; lot's of great music and a short trip to the city's old Geisha quarter as well – a taifun from the south touched on Toyama-prefecture as well, and after that the heat of summer finally broke for good. In the last three weeks
the temperatures have been always around 20 to 25 degrees, sometimes a little colder and rainy, sometimes a little warmer, but always just exactly right for feeling perfectly comfortable. Haven't used my air conditioner for three weeks and could sleep with my window open.

The sound of the cicadas has stopped almost completely and with just a few crickets the night seems almost ominously quite. The trees are turning red and some few golden, the persimmon trees in Senshinen's yard carry hard but wonderfully sweet, yellow-orange fruits. The rice is harvested and the fields lie bare for only the wind to roll over them, not moving a green ocean anymore. Most fields have been singed to keep the rice from springing up again as it's still warm, others lie with a fresh green sheen over them as if they were ready to bear another crop still this year.
On the vending machines, faithfully at every corner, the tree frogs cling, searching the light, their wide-fingered silhouettes blotching out parts of the names of the drinks offered. 

 'kaki'(persimmon) in my backyard
 
 stubble fields


Lovely, wonderful Aki – autumn. With the start of October school started again, too, and last week I chose my courses for the next half year. I will be only attending 2 courses per week, since there was nothing else on the schedule that would have been interesting or helpful for me. Now a mother-of-pearl inlay course for urushi and a jewelry course, in which I will also use Urushi as material, and then in the last 2 months before my return home a more artsy urushi course (making some kind of object/sculpture using urushi) and a silk screen printing course. I do have a lot of own projects to finish though, so I am at school every day for about 10 hours anyway. But I like being there. I love my class – especially the 4th year students – and I think that room and it's people are more home to me than Senshinen is, which is alright, since I spend most of my time there anyways.

I have got a fellow lodger in Senshinen now, though. He is an exchange student from Inner Mongolia (the part that is under control of China), 27 and a bit shy because he speaks neither English nor Japanese very well. But he is friendly enough so at least until now there have been no problems and I don't think there will be any. Generally I'm not sure at all if I'll still do a homestay as I originally planned to try. Now that school has started again it's just so damn convenient to live in 3 minutes walking distance from it. Also, starting next week I'll go to Yosakoi training again, too, since at the end of October there's the big school festival here on which I will dance for the last time. Also there's friends from Finland studying in Tokio for three months now and they will come visit me and see the school festival, so I think I really need to get back into a better shape again...

As for Yosakoi otherwise, Mugiya, the official 'last' for the 3rd year students was on 17th of September. We made 3rd place out of 36 teams! The weather was pretty bad though. The first parade was the only one we danced dry, in the second parade we got soaked through and then had to wait another three hours for our stage performance which we pulled through in hard rain. Still it seemed we were good enough, and the day was very important. Even our loud-mouthed, always fun-making announcer sounded close to tears when he told the audience that this was the official last time of the seniors of the group in their roles as the leaders of the team, that from now on the 2nd year students would continue.

Afterwards, when we had got the price, when the rain had stopped and the festival was over, we assembled all together on a nearby parking lot and then the oldest were officially 'graduating' from the team. All the oldest members of the team, including myself, got a certificate telling about our achievements, so to say, in the team, a small wooden tag with a kanji to describe the kind of person we were to the team, a small folder with pictures and informations about the three past years of TNC, and a flower.

My kanji is , pronounced 'fun' or 'furuu', and is translated as being alive, being vigorous, or as used in words like 'rousing' or 'giving one's best'. I guess it's not hard to imagine me being pretty happy and honoured by that assessment. What exactly is written on my certificate I still don't actually exactly know, same with all of the comments that were left for me in my folder of pictures and TNC memories. Me being from the Western world and Japanese generally seem to having a fascination for non-Asian features, and me behaving definitely more self-confidently than the usual Japanese woman, I have gotten somewhat more attention here than I am used to in Finland. It feels kind of embarrassing, really, and so I intentionally haven't sat down to translate it. Maybe some time later, maybe at Soukisai, the school's festival, when it will eventually really be the last time to dance with TNC.

And so I still haven't told about the wonderful holiday I spent with my mum, when she visited me here from 22nd of August until September 12th. I am looking through all the photographs right now though, and will try to add a few more 'picture book' entries soon. Generally I can just say now that it was an almost perfect trip. Apart from a few hindrances because of a taifun the rests of which followed us up north to Hokkaido it couldn't have been better. It was the first time I think, that only we two were travelling alone and I would do it anytime gladly again. It was so great in fact, that when I brought her to the airport again in the end I got extremely homesick, almost wanting to follow her. But fortunately now that autumn has come I feel great again.

I'm sure and happy and confident about my being here. Sure about wanting to enjoy the remaining four months of my stay as intensely as I can and then, eventually, return


home.

No comments:

Post a Comment