Friday, September 16, 2011

Finished courses and unfinished business, Part I

Before I tell about my travels with my mum、 I need to update something I should have done a long time ago but somehow always pushed off. Now that the second semester of school is already about to start, I think it really is about time to tell you what I've done in school until now:


First the courses until June,
of the first half of the semester

Mold Making and Casting (after a very old, traditional Chinese technique)
Mifune-sensei, alltogether 6 hours a week

It was a great course and very helpful to understand more about mold-making. As I told in my first school related entry before, I was making a bronze bowl. The whole process really turned out pretty complicated but I was very happy with the end result. The bowl itself is still not quite ready now, but very close, only need to get the peak line of the spiral to a high polish.
When I had gotten it first out of the mold and cleaned up a bit, I was told that one can use Urushi on metal (which opened a whole new universe of possibilities) and definitely wanted to try that out immediately. It's pretty simple. One needs to mix the urushi one wants to use with a bit of graphite so it sticks better to the metal, then it's applied very thinly and the piece put in an oven to be heated slowly to 120degrees and slowly cool again – basically the urushi is burned on. I wish I understood the chemical processes better, since to me the setting of Urushi by putting it in a cupboard with high humidity seems pretty contrary to setting it by heating it up. Somehow it has to do with the Urushi binding watermolecules from the air to set into a stable, hard surface. I'm not sure how heating a metal piece fits into that... I wish I had paid more attention in Chemics at highschool...

Anyways, here some pics. I have some images for a 'Making Of' as well, but can't promise to get that done any time soon...^^'

(as always, clicking on the picture will open it bigger)

 
The bowl directly after the cast with the casting channels still on.

 The bowl roughly cleaned.

 And its outside...

 ... and inside after being treated with urushi.

I plan to still polish just the very peak of the spiral, then it should be ready.


Urushi: Maki-e
Hayashi-sensei, alltogether 6 hours a week

We really did draw a lot of flowers. But then we also spend a terrible amount of money on tools and gold and silver powder (I was allowed to buy only silver powder, fortunately!). In fact I think none of the students attending this course actually even started making the finished plates in the time of the course since we spent so much time with drawing, composing the final designs and watching Hayashi-sensei demonstrate the different techniques. It was extremely interesting though. To see him work as well as eventually using the technique myself. In the end Hayashi-sensei gave us time to finish the plates ourselves until the end of August.

We learned about two techniques, Hira-makie and Togidashi-makie which seem to be the two main techniques used wich can be combined with each other as well as more surface creating techniques. We were supposed to make two plates with one technique each. Unfortunately I didn't understand quite right and my Hira-makie plate turned out to be wrong because I used the Togidashi technique in it as well. Hayashi-sensei was really sorry because he thought himself responible for not explaining well enough. I didn't take the whole thing very tragically though. He gave me the possibility to make the Hira-plate again in the next term and I will gladly do that because now, through my mistakes, I understand much better how both techniques work. The Togidashi-plate basically turned out alright, but somehow, I have no idea how, I got a huge scratch in it and while not yet realizing how deep it was I tried to just sand it off and through that broke the layer of the uppermost urushi-surface, which can unfortunately be seen very clearly on the polished plate. Oh well... now I know much better what this is about so when I use these techniques again I think the result will turn out better. It was a nice course though, I liked it a lot. 

And for some reason, though I was sure I made one, I can't find the picture of the finished Togidashi plate... :( 


Sculpture: Bust
Gotou-sensei, 3 hours a week

A sculpting course in which we made a bust from clay which we later cast in plaster. Model was Kan-chan, 4th year student from the same room I work in. It was interesting and very challenging. I was satisfied enough in the end, though I don't think my bust looks very much like Kan-chan...
One problem was that I didn't know we were supposed to make it life-sized, and when I was told to make it bigger, the relations of the skull took a turn for the worse. Still, very nice to have done this, since trying to get the face of a person right requires a different, more exact way of modelling than doing a torso, which we made in Lahti before.

The casting also was somewhat different than we did in Finland. We first took a negative plaster cast of the head in 2 or if required 3 parts, then opened it and took out the clay. Then the two halves were prepared with soapy water and put together again and very liquid plaster was poured in and spread around. That was done a few times until the initial layer of plaster was thick enough, then the whole thing was backed with something they called 'stuff'. I'm not sure they actually meant that English word with it, but since they were in fact 'stuffing' the cast with it it makes sense to me. The 'stuff' is some kind of very rough, somewhat stiff long fibre which we cut into roughly 20cm long pieces and then rolled around between our palms until it looked a little like a flat bird's nest. Then it was soaked with plaster and applied to the inside of the cast thick enough to give sufficient strength to the bust when the outer mold would be removed but still being much lighter as if one had cast the complete head solidly. 



 Just to show how surprisingly thin the plaster layer can be, supported be the 'stuff'.

In the end I think the clay version of the bust looked better than the white plaster... 

Here's Part II


No comments:

Post a Comment